The Golden Merit Award was started in 1969 to recognize school bus operators for their successful operating achievements in the areas of safety, driver training, business practice, vehicle maintenance, and superior service to the school, community, and the pupil transportation industry.
1. The nominee’s company must be a school bus contractor in good standing of the National School Transportation Association for at least 3 consecutive years.
2. The nominee must be a member of the state contractors’ association, if there is one.
3. Either an individual or a company may be nominated. Although an individual is eligible for the award only once, a company’s location may receive the award more than once. The company must meet all eligibility criteria listed, and meet the residency standards of their respective state.
4. One letter of recommendation that addressess the the nominee's achievements in the pupil transportation industry.
5. No more than 10 awards are given annually.
6. No more than two awards will be given to contractors in a single state. If nominations from more than 10 states are received, the committee will first consider one from each state.
7. In any year in which more than 10 nominations are received by National School Transportation Association, the applications for those nominees in excess of 10, who do not receive the award, may be held and considered in the next succeeding year. The nominee shall be so notified.
1. All nominations, including all verifying information and photos, must be received at the NSTA office by April 15. Mail to 623 N Broad Street Lansdale, PA 19446
2. The Awards & Meetings Committee will review the information and notify the nominator by May 15.