NSTA is the advocate for the private operators of the school bus industry. Check us out!
NSTA Members are encouraged to participate in any committee of interest. Typically, being a member of a committee means participating in a monthly conference call and at the committee meetings held at the board meetings, Midwinter Meeting and the Annual Meeting and Convention.
To join a committee or to learn more, just contact the NSTA Central Office. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at (703) 684-3200.
One of the best aspects of NSTA are the committees. NSTA Committees are the driving force behind all of the Association's initiatives and activities. Committees are made up of members with staff and consultant liaisons. There are 14 committees:
Association and Industry Development Committee: The Association and Industry Development Committee is responsible for most association activities pertaining to the promotion and health of the Association as well as the promotion of the school bus contracting industry. The committee is chaired by Rob Nelson of Dousman Transport and vice-chaired by Dan Kobussen of Kobussen Buses, Ltd. There are 6 sub-committees you can join:
- Membership Committee: The membership committee is focused on the growth and retention of the NSTA membership and developing new member benefits that will provide additional value to the association. This committee is chaired by John Benish of Cook-Illinois and works closely with NSTA staff.
- Marketing & Communications: The Committee keeps members up-to-date on association activities, industry news, and important legislative activities, foster peer-to-peer communications between members, enhances communications between committees to improve efficiency and create cohesiveness and develops a standard operating procedure for internal and external communications. This committee is chaired by Bobbie Hartman of First Student and works closely with NSTA staff.
- Manufacturers, Suppliers, and Technology: This Committee has a two-fold purpose. First, it provides the Association with regular updates on research, new product development, services, innovations on equipment and operations as well as best practices to guide the policy making of the Board of Directors. Secondly, the committee focuses on the needs of NSTA’s supplier and manufacturer partners to incorporate their needs into NSTA’s agenda and find new ways to foster meaningful interactions between supplier and manufacturer partners and the contractor members. This committee is chaired Dan Kobussen of Kobussen Buses, Ltd. who works closely with NSTA Office staff.
- Business Development: The Business Development Committee’s mandate is to help contractors grow market share and to develop opportunities to get more children on the yellow bus. This committee is chaired by Kellie Dean of Dean Transportation and vice-chaired by Barry Stock of Landmark Student Transportation who work closely with NSTA Staff.
- Awards & Meeting Planning: The Awards and Meeting Planning Committee is responsible for NSTA’s Awards program and developing the program for NSTA’s Annual Meeting and Convention, Mid-Winter Meetings and all other NSTA meetings. The committee is chaired by Gail Hyser of Wilson Bus Service and vice-chaired by Paula Heinowski of Dousman Transport. All work closely with NSTA’s Meeting Planner, Jennifer Hickey Bruce of CCi Consulting and NSTA Staff.
- Strategic Planning: This committee works to develop the NSTA Strategic Plan and then assists the committees in implementing the plan. The committee is currently executing the 2013 – 2015 Strategic Plan.
Government Relations Committee: This committee is one of the Association’s two overriding committees and is focused on working with legislators, regulatory agencies, on all levels to promote the interest of the school bus contractor industry. The Chair of this committee is Bree Allen of The Trans Group. There are two sub-committees:
- Legislative: This committee focuses on federal and state legislation, lobbying efforts, and education of legislators and their staff. The committee chair is Bob Pape of Dell Transportation. This committee works closely with NSTA’s lobbying group, Prime Policy.
- Regulatory: This committee works with regulatory agencies such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, among other agencies, on issues concerning the school bus industry. The committee chair is Paul Losos of Sunrise Transportation.
Safety and Security: This committee oversees the planning and execution of the School Bus Driver International Safety Competition, gets involved with any safety and security issues that need to be addressed, and advises the Regulatory and Legislative Committees on safety and security issues. This committee is chaired by Gary Catapano of First Student and vice-chaired by John Elliott, Jr. of Durham School Services who work closely with NSTA Office staff.
Site Selection: The Site Selection Committee is an ad hoc committee pursuing the location of future conventions and meetings.
Finance: The Finance Committee oversees the finances of the Association including the creation of an annual operating budget and provides oversight on all financial matters. This committee is chaired by Bob Pape of Dell Transportation and vice-chaired by Paul Losos of Sunrise Transportation.
Bylaws: The Bylaws Committee periodically reviews the bylaws and presents changes to the NSTA Board of Directors.
Nominating Committee: The key role of the Nominating Committee is to identify current members to serve on the Board of Directors and as officers of the Board. A slate of officers is presented every other year to the members at the Annual Meeting. This committee is chaired by the most recent Past President, which is currently Tim Flood of The Trans Group.
Executive Committee: The Executive Committee acts in place and instead of the Board of Directors between Board meetings on matters including setting Association policies, except those specifically reserved exclusively to the Board by the NSTA Bylaws. The Executive Committee consists of the President, President-elect, Secretary/Treasurer, and Immediate Past President.
View the NSTA Organizational Chart to understand NSTA's working order and processes.